Carrot cake cupcakes – cute alternative to cake
I will start with a confession: I have never tried carrot cake until 2 days ago! Crazy, I know. I have always though it will taste like carrots and as much as I love carrots they taste nothing like cake. For the same reason I have never tried tomato juice or Bloody Mary. You are probably thinking that I am a total freak but I terrified that it will taste like ketchup. It is weird because I love tomatoes and can’t live without ketchup. It is drinking it I have an issue with.
Anyway going back to carrots, I was away for 2 weeks and completely forgot to customise our veg and fruit delivery so when I came back our fridge was stuffed with carrots. I was thinking what to do with 4 pounds of carrots: juice them (we don’t a juicer), make carrot and coriander soup or a carrot cake! Keith doesn’t like soups, carrot soups isn’t my favourite either so I decided to overcome my fears and make a carrot cake. I found an easy carrot cake cupcakes recipe on Pinch of Yum. Who doesn’t like cupcakes? I even went to a bakers’ supply shop to get pipping equipment! I am a pro baker now Ha! (totally not)
I customised this recipe because I find that Americans use a lot of sugar. I also used coconut oil which is much healthier and it gives cupcakes a hint of coconut flavour which I love (it smells lovely too). Don’t worry about sweetness, I can promise that these carrot cupcakes are sweet enough.
Overall carrot cake cupcakes came out absolutely delicious! And they taste nothing like carrots. They are soft and very light and cream cheese frosting gives it extra sweetness without overpowering. I really don’t like when icing tastes like eating a pound of icing sugar and then falling into a sugar coma. I hope you will enjoy it! And let me know how they came out x
- 1 1/4 cups of flour (all purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used confectioners sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups of shredded carrots (270g)
- 2/3 cups of coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat a oven to 350 degrees
- Mix shredded carrots with coconut oil. You can melt coconut oil by heating it up in microwave for 30 seconds
- In a second bowl mix flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Use a sieve if you have one. Then add sugar and mix together.
- Beat eggs - whisk them for about 3 minutes until they double volume.
- Combine carrots with flour mixture.
- Slowly add beaten eggs - you can do it by hand, don't use mixer as it will over mix it.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin and scoop out the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool down, after about 15 minutes you can place them on a metal rack.
- Whisk cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Once your mixture is nice and smooth, transfer into a pipping bag and start decorating.
Remember: cupcakes need to cool down completely otherwise frosting will melt. If you don't have a pipping bag don't worry. Just use knife to spread it evenly and give them a more rustic look.